Poha is such a common, well known face for Indian mornings, we enjoy it almost once every week. Simple to make, fast and less chances to turn into blunders. But, if you want a twist in the POHA, replace it with brown bread and make it more healthier, yet different.
Time: 25-30 mins
10 brown Bread slices (cut off the edges if you wish)
1 medium Onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 medium potato, cut into thin slices
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1/2 cup sour curd (fresh curd is also okay)
2 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. jeera(cumin) seeds
a pinch Rai(mustard) seeds
1 Tbsp. peanuts(moongfalli)
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
salt as per taste
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1 sprig coriander, chopped
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed wok/kadhai.
- Add peanuts in the hot oil and fry till brown.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds and splutter them.
- Add onions and roast them to golden-light brown color.
- Add chilies and tomatoes and roast them until tomatoes are soft.
- Add potato slices and cook them till soft.(can skip this step)
- Add beaten curd and mix well and add turmeric powder, salt and coriander powder.
- Cut the breads into small squares.
- Add these squares in the kadhai and mix well.
- Heat for 2 more minutes to get the spices infused properly with the bread pieces.
- Garnish with chopped coriander .
- Relish with your morning tea!
Curd is required to keep the moisture in the poha intact, otherwise bread pieces may get hard. You can add other vegetables like carrot, peas etc. of your choice.