I am always in for such short and sweet (read salty) preparations. I learnt this during my Hyderabad days of bachelorhood from a Punjabi rommie.
- Salted / Masala Boondi – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 pc, coarsely chopped
- Tomato – 1 pc, medium, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 stem
- Sour Curd – 3-4 Tsp, beaten
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Mustard and cumin seed – 1 tsp together
- Salt- per taste (boondis usually have salt)
- Turmeric – 1 tsp
- Coriander pwdr – 1tsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Heat oil in a wok/pan.
- Add seeds and let them splitter. Add curry leaves. Mix a pinch of hing.
- Add onions and roast them till light brown
- Add tomatoes and cook until disintegrated.
- Now add the dry spices.
- Then add the sour curd and keep stirring for 2-3 mins on medium flame to avoid the curd from splitting.
- Once curd gets mixed properly, add water and salt and bring it to boil.
- Now add boondi and cover for a min.
- Adjust the consistency by adding hot water if it is too dry for you.
Relish with Daal-Rice. My all time fav for Sunday lunch to save my energy for the eve outing. 🙂
Do not overcook boondis as they are very delicate and 1 min on the flame is sufficient to soften them.
Keep a check on the quantity of tomato as we are using sour curd. So adjust the amount of tomatoes accordingly.